Home > Propery Guide, UK > Grants for Property
UK Property Guide
UK Property Guide
Acquiring Property
•  Buying Freehold Property
•  Buying A Long lease
•  Acquiring a Short Lease
Selling and Letting Out Property
•  Using Estate Agents
•  Granting Leases
Property Auctions
Legal Matters
•  Conveyancing
•  Title and Land Registry
•  Contracts and Completion
Property Finance
•  Mortgages
•  Sources of Finance
•  Grants
•  Residential Property Types
•  Ownership & Tenure
Grants for Property

Local Authorities

For a range of special property needs, it is possible to obtain grants from local authorities. Here are a few:

Improvement Grants

Improvement grants are for the purpose of bringing a property up to date. They are most likely to be awarded to properties that are unfit to live in, they may be in a bad state of repair, suffer dampness, need their electrical wiring renewed or are missing certain items of sanitation. They are not available for general improvements.

Grants are awarded at the discretion of your local authority. In practice they can be difficult to obtain due to the general tight budgets of local authorities. The applicants are means tested for an award. The maximum award is £20,000 for council tax band A and band B properties and £10,000 for properties in Band C and above.

Intermediate Grants

Intermediate grants are available for installing missing amenities in your property, chiefly missing items of sanitation like WC, washbasin, bath or shower. If you are missing one of these it is very possible that you will get a grant from the local authority for this.

Special Grants

Special grants are for the purpose of improving the facilities of houses in multiple occupation (HMO's). The are more often awarded to hostels and hotels for improving fire escapes or sanitary amenities. These grants are awarded on a discretionary basis and also depend on the availability of funds from the local authority's budget.

Repair Grants

Repairs grants are available for properties in a serious condition of disrepair and that they pose a potential safety problem for the occupiers or the general public. If you are served with a repairs notice by the council, then the council will be under obligation to offer you a grant at the maximum rate. The awarding of repairs grants is means tested and at the discretion of the local authority. The availability of a grant is also subject to the availability of funds available from the local authority's budget Local authorities will tend to prioritize applications in order of their assessed need.

Help for the Disabled

For people with disabilities, there is addition help available, over and above the normal grants system. If a occupational therapist confirms that any additional facilities are required in a house for the needs of a disabled person, then the necessary grants will be available. Local Authorities will give priority to disabled people over other applicants for grants.

Further Information

Further information about grants for residential property is available at Office of Deputy Prime Minister: Housing. For more information regarding grants for the elderly and disabled go to Age Concern.


Special Property Grants

English Heritage

For the repair and restoration of ancient monuments, historic buildings, and buildings within conservation areas, grants are available from English heritage. It must be stressed that it is not easy to obtain a grant from English Heritage as your property has to meet very stringent criteria and you have to prove that you are not able to able to meet the repair costs yourself.

Historic buildings are graded as grade 1, 2* and 2 listed. Most listed buildings are grade 2. Only grade 1 and grade 2* generally attract grants since these are the ones that are generally considered of national importance. Only repairs of more than £10,000 will be considered. If the building contains certain important historical artifacts like tapestries, paintings, sculptures and murals etc. these may be given special consideration aside from the buildings.

If your house is within a conservation area, you might be eligible for a grant if the work is associated with the structure and the appearance of the building for conservation purposes. Grants are not available for alterations and conversions. Two types of grants are available: Town Scheme Grants - available from your local authority, for about 40% of the costs, and Section 10 grants - available from English Heritage which can be up to 25% of the costs.

Lottery Heritage Fund

As for English Heritage, it is possible for you to obtain a grant from the Lottery Heritage if your property is in a conservation area. You are eligible so long as the work is associated with the structure and appearance of your property. The work must be more for the public benefit rather than private benefit.

Further Information

English Heritage

Lottery Heritage Fund

Web Search | www Catalog | Web Reference
Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy | About
Copyright © Thobius Trading Company